Surveys of the Arm

A detailed survey was carried out in 1993 and the survey report, published in 1994, is reproduced below.

Note: Since this report was produced, British Waterways has been replaced by Canal & River Trust.

Buckingham Arm of the Grand Union Canal : Survey of the Line 1994

Index

  1. Introduction
  2. Historical Notes
  3. Statistics (as at 1960)
  4. SECTION FROM GRAND UNION MAIN LINE TO BRIDGE 1 (STRATFORD ARM)
  5. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 1 TO BRIDGE 2 (STRATFORD ARM)
  6. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 2 TO END OF STRATFORD ARM
  7. SECTION FROM START OF BUCKINGHAM ARM TO BRIDGE 4 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  8. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 4 TO BRIDGE 5 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  9. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 6 TO BRIDGE 7 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  10. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 7 TO BRIDGE 9 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  11. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 9 TO BRIDGE 12 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  12. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 12 TO BRIDGE 13 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  13. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 13 TO BRIDGE 15 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  14. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 15 TO BRIDGE 17 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  15. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 17 TO BRIDGE 19 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  16. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 19 TO BRIDGE 22 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  17. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 22 TO BRIDGE 23 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  18. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 23 TO BRIDGE 25 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  19. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 25 TO BRIDGE 26 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  20. SECTION FROM BRIDGE 26 TO 10 MILE POST (BUCKINGHAM ARM)
  21. SECTION FROM 10 MILEPOST TO TERMINUS (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Introduction

The line of the Old Stratford and Buckingham Arms of The Grand Junction Canal were surveyed by members of the Buckingham Canal Society between February and October 1993.

The survey was based on Millner’s Map of 1924 as a basis for identifying features of the canal when in use. Modern features found are noted. Additional information taken from The Grand Junction Canal Company’s copy of the 25″ Ordnance Survey Map of 1900. This has been annotated by the Engineer’s Department, some time after 1934, to show the extent of land owned by the Company, together with additional labelling and notes.

All features are identified by map references, using Ordnance Survey 1:25000 maps; Sheets SP 63/73 (Buckingham) and SP 64/74 (Towcester & Silverstone).

Surveyors:

  • Don Allison
  • Jeremy Cooper
  • Matthew Desorghes
  • Barbara Evans Rees
  • Jenny Freeman
  • Mike Freeman
  • Jill Gourlay
  • Alan Meakin
  • Andrew Roberts

Historical Notes

  • Old Stratford Arm:
    • Authorised with The Grand Junction Canal Act of 1793.
    • Cut August to September 1800.
  • Buckingham Arm:
    • Surveyed by Barnes in 1793, and approved by William Jessop.
    • Authorised with the 28 March 1794 Act for the Aylesbury and Wendover Arms.
    • Cutting started September 1800.
    • Opened 1st May 1801.
  • Maids Moreton Mill to Buckingham abandoned 1910.
  • Last boat to Leckhampstead Wharf 1932.
  • Bridge 1 (Old Stratford Arm) dammed 1944.
  • Report recommending closure 1960.
  • Officially abandoned 1964.

Statistics (as at 1960)

Length:

Old Stratford Arm:  1 mile 533 yards

Buckingham Arm:  9 1/2 miles

Total:  10 3/4 miles

Bridges:

Masonry:  11

Timber:  32

Total:  31

Culverts:

Old Stratford Arm:  5

Buckingham Arm:  34

Total:  39

Locks:  2

Weirs:  4

Flood Paddles:  3

SECTION FROM GRAND UNION MAIN LINE TO BRIDGE 1 (STRATFORD ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Overflow Weir 795422 East bank. Leads to pound below Cosgrove Lock. Still in operation.
Culvert 795422 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Wooden Trunk’. No evidence found.
Winding Hole 794421 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Silted up.
Bridge 1 794421 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 1’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC Map as ‘Bridge No. 1’. Masonry bridge. In-filled. Parapet dismantled – bricks thrown in cut and probably part of infill. Brick work leading into bridge hole still in place.
Condition of Canal Bed
In water. Used for moorings by Cosgrove Marina.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
Towpath on the southern/eastern bank of canal. In good condition. Public right of way.
Ownership
British Waterways.
Other Notes
1900 map shows both arms as ‘Grand Junction Canal Buckingham Branch’.
The swing bridge that was once over the lock at Cosgrove is now in use at Winkwell.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 1 TO BRIDGE 2 (STRATFORD ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Blockage (1) 790417 Bed of canal has been raised to create a farm track/access.
Pipe 790417 North bank has been cut for a drainage (?) pipe. Old pipes thrown in canal. Possibly existed before abandonment of canal.
Arm 788417 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. 1900 map indicates not owned by GJCC. Short arm c. 50 yards in length from north bank. Only barely discernible. Has been in-filled for some time (possibly by dredging or similar). East side of arm is a ploughed field. West side is a small copse.
Manhole 787418 Circular manhole cover on south bank. Possibly for access to sewage system and probably in existence before abandonment of canal.
Blockage (2) 787418 Bed of canal has been raised to create a farm track/access.
Pipeline 787418 Marker post, labelled UKOP (UK Oil Pipeline?), showing position of pipeline running from North-west to South-east beneath canal. Bed has been restored, depth of pipeline unknown. Other marker posts are visible to North-west and South-east.
Bridge 2 785418 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 2’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 2’. Masonry bridge. Lowered and in-filled, but still in use as farm access and for a public footpath. Sloping access and some stone walling, including brick work into bridge hole.
Condition of Canal Bed
In good condition, apart from reeds and small trees growing in the bed. Access ways have been made at two points, resulting in raising of the canal bed and lowering of the banks.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
In good, walkable condition. Stile at 790417. Post and wire fencing between towpath and canal along part of section north of stile.
From Bridge 1 to Blockage (2) is a public right of way.
The public right of way from blockage (2) continues to the south of the canal, to a point south of Bridge 2, then crosses Bridge 2 to join Stratford Road.
Ownership
British Waterways

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 2 TO END OF STRATFORD ARM

Feature Map Ref Notes
Flood Paddle 784418 Structure in good condition, but paddle and operating gear removed.
Culvert 783417 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert (Large Stone)’. Water course still in operation. Overgrown.
Milepost 1 782416 Shown on 1924 map as ‘1M’. No evidence found.
Blockage 782415 Line of canal has been cut by the construction of the A5 Trunk Road (in 1975-1976). The road is approximately 10 ft below the level of the canal.
Wharf 782414 Lay-by wharf. Only just discernable from the footpath alongside the A5 Trunk Road. There is a building along the (west?) side.
Pipe Bridge 782414 A pipe crosses the canal just south of the junction with the lay-by.
Bridge 3 782413 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 3 (Swing)’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Swing Bridge No. 3’. Swing bridge. Abutments still in good condition. Blue engineering bricks with date 1903. Large blocks of stone on access. Remains of bridge – rotting wood, some iron bolts, lengths of iron (part of pivot mechanism?). A tree has fallen over it.
Footbridge 782413 Small footbridge south of Bridge 3. No handrail.
Wharf 782412 Hayes Basin. At least one brick building alongside. Wall alongside east bank.
Condition of Canal Bed
Still in reasonable condition. Some growth of reeds and small trees. Blockage where the A5 Trunk Road cuts the line of the canal. Final half of the wharf length appears to have been infilled. No buildings appear to have been constructed on the bed.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 2 to A5 Trunk Road: Towpath is in good walkable condition.
South of the A5 Trunk Road: Towpath is not accessible.
Public footpaths leave the old Cosgrove Road, follow both sides of the A5 Trunk Road, crosses the route of the canal and meet at a pedestrian bridge over the A5 Trunk Road, approximately 100yds from the canal route. Another path leaves the pedestrian bridge in a southerly direction and passes close to Bridge 3.
1:25000 map shows public right of way (as at 1.10.1988) along the towpath south of the A5 Trunk Road to the junction with Hayes Basin.
Ownership
From Bridge 2 to A5: Owned by British Waterways.
From A5 to end of the Stratford Arm: Unknown.
Other Notes
1900 GJCC map indicates that the lay-by wharf was not owned by the company.
1900 GJCC map shows 3 buildings at Hayes Basin; two on the north-west side, and one on the south-east side. The area around the wharf, together with a roadway to Watling Street is annotated ‘Purchased from CH Cove 4 July 1933’. A second area between the wharf and Cosgrove Road is annotated ‘Purchased from Allan Giles Nov 1934’.

SECTION FROM START OF BUCKINGHAM ARM TO BRIDGE 4 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Bridge 1 781413 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 1 B.A.’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 4’. Masonry bridge. Roadway has been lowered, and is still in use.
Bridge 2 779412 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 2’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 5’. Masonry bridge, with no towpath underneath. Known as the “Old Stratford Tunnel”. Roadway has been lowered, and is still in use, but has been infilled.
Bridge 3 778410 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 3’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 6’. Lift bridge. Now a concrete level bridge, with space underneath and service pipe access. Situated by a Northamptonshire County Council Post and a road ‘Barrow Close’.
Blockage 776404 Line of canal is cut by the construction of the A422 Old Stratford By-pass (in 1989-90).
Bridge 4 776404 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 4’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 7’. Lift Bridge. No longer exists, a new road, the A422 Old Stratford by-pass, having been built. A new road access to the field served by the bridge has been created between the by-pass and a road sign “Old Stratford”. Site is probably at side of the new road access coincident with a bramble patch.
Condition of Canal Bed
From junction with Stratford Arm to Bridge 1; intact and in reasonable condition, including under the bridge.
From west side of bridge 1 to bridge 2; has been infilled.
From Bridge 2 to Bridge 3; Three house have been built upon the line (one up for sale), otherwise clear apart from cultivation as gardens.
From Bridge 3 to Bridge 4; still exists in reasonable condition. Access used to garden rubbish access (Gas Pipe line sign by ’30mph’).
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From junction with Stratford Arm to Bridge 1; intact.
From Bridge 1 to Bridge 2; not discernable due to infill.
From Bridge 2 to Bridge 3; indiscernible due to cultivation and house building.
From Bridge 3 to Bridge 4; exists, but overgrown (not walkable).
No public rights of way exist.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
Wharf (‘Old Stratford Wharf’) before Bridge 2?

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 4 TO BRIDGE 5 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Milepost 2 774400 Shown on 1924 map as ‘2M’. No evidence found.
Blockage 774400 Line of canal cut by construction of the A422 Old Stratford By-pass (1989-90).
Bridge 5 774401 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 5’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 8’. Lift bridge. Replaced by a lowered masonry road bridge. No apparent evidence of the original drawbridge, although the brick work supporting the road deck could be original and appears to be of the original width. The canal bed is visible below the bridge. On the south side of the bridge, a 4″ pipe crosses the line at road deck level.
Culvert 773399 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Small Bk Culvert’. No evidence found.
Culvert 770398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Wooden trunk fixed with ?? 1943’. No evidence found.
Bridge 6 769398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 6’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 9’. Lift bridge. This is now a fixed low level timber bridge across which a farm track passes. The original brick work is still is still in place, although in need of major repair. Mature trees have seriously damaged the retaining walls on the approach to the western side. The wooden bridge deck appears to be supported on the original brick supports and the brick work under the bridge appears to be reasonable condition.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 4 to A422 Road: Canal infilled and obstructed by the A422 Old Stratford By-pass.
From A422 Road to Bridge 5: canal has been infilled. The line is marked by trees along the line of the towpath.
From Bridge 5 to Bridge 6: The canal is infilled. During the late 1980s, the hedges and trees were removed to create a large field and the line totally destroyed.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 4 to A422; Towpath obliterated by construction of the A422 Old Stratford By-pass.
From A422 to Bridge 5: line of the towpath marked by trees.
From Bridge 5 to Bridge 6; Towpath obliterated along with the canal bed.
No public rights of way seem to exist.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
Wharf (‘Passenham Wharf’) at Bridge 5?

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 6 TO BRIDGE 7 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Blockage (1) 768398 The bed of the canal has been blocked by a timber and earth construction approximately 10″ high and 18″ wide. The purpose of this appears to provide a footpath from one side of the canal to the other. Immediately to the east of this ‘bridge’, a 4″ drainage pipe enters the canal at bed level from the towpath side.
Blockage (2) 768398 Bed of canal has been raised to create a farm track/access.
Bridge 7 767398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bdg. No. 7’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 10 (7)’. Lift bridge. This is now a masonry bridge carrying a road, and has been lowered.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 6 to Blockage (2): In good condition apart from light/medium undergrowth consisting mainly of ground ivy and brambles. Some fallen trees partially block the line, but there is no major tree growth in the canal bed itself. Access ways have been made at two points, resulting in the raising of the canal bed.
From Blockage (2) to Bridge 7: The bed of the canal is in excellent condition, and a section of 100-150 yards is in water. A small garden shed has been built across the line.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 6 to Blockage (2): Towpath is clearly visible, although in places is narrow and blocked or partially blocked by mature and semi-mature trees. It is overgrown with bramble and hawthorn, although is walkable in the main. No public right of way exists.
From Blockage (2) to Bridge 7: Towpath is well kept. This section is clearly privately owned. No public right of way exists.
Ownership
Unknown.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 7 TO BRIDGE 9 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Weir 766398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Weir’. No evidence found.
Culvert 765398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert’. Within rear of factory grounds. Not determined.
Winding Hole 765398 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Winding Hole’. Within rear of factory grounds. Not determined.
Bridge 8 764397 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 8’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 11 (8)’. Masonry bridge. This has been lowered.
Milepost 3 763396 Shown on 1924 map as ‘3M’. Not determined.
Culvert 763396 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert’. Not determined.
Bridge 9 763395 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 9’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 12 (9)’. Masonry bridge. This is now a masonry bridge carrying a road, and has been lowered. Some of the stone has been used for a wall.
Condition of Canal Bed
As far as can been ascertained, most of the canal has been filled in. Throughout this section, the canal passes through the rear of factory grounds, and it is not possible to survey completely.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
As the canal passes through the rear of factory grounds throughout this section, it has not been possible to survey completely. No public right of way exists.
Ownership
Unknown, though probably owned by Deanshanger Oxides.
Other Notes
Three Wharves in Deanshanger (Close to Bridges 7, 8 and 9)?

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 9 TO BRIDGE 12 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Bridge 10 764394 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 10’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘Bridge No. 13 (10)’. Lift bridge. Not determined.
Bridge 11 766393 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 11’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 14 (11)’. Lift bridge. Not determined.
Blockage 764387 Line of canal cut by reconstruction of A422 Road.
Bridge 12 764387 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 12’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 15 (12)’. Masonry Bridge, constructed 1934. Very little remaining of bridge -masonry on canal bed. Red and white stop plank still in one piece by side of road. Metal buffer plate also on roadside. Breastwork still visible on right hand side of bridge. Other side of bridge possibly across the A422 Road.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 9 to Bridge 10: Bed of canal is infilled though line of canal intact. Close to Bridge 9 a car park covers the line. Beyond that the line is determined by the fences of rear gardens.
From Bridge 10 to Bridge 11: Bed of canal is infilled though line is intact. Line passes through a school playground.
From Bridge 11 to Bridge 12: Not determined. Line cut at A422 Road.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 9 to Bridge 11: Towpath obliterated, though line is intact. No public right of way seems to exist.
From Bridge 11 to Bridge 12: Water on canal bed 400 yards before and up to bridge. Remainder not determined. No public right of way seems to exist.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
The area of bridge 12 is annotated on the 1900 GJCC map ‘Land purchased from The Reverend Palmer Whalley Clerk 1st May 1801’ and ‘Sec conveyance dated 5th Feb 1803 John Clark Esq to GJ Canal’. Area south of bridge 12 is annotated ‘Sold to Eliz Prowse 10 Feb 1803’.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 12 TO BRIDGE 13 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Milepost 4 764385 Shown on 1924 map as ‘4M’. Not determined.
Culvert (1) 765383 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Large Brick Culvert’. Still intact with stream running through on west side. East side (through hedgerow and over embankment) end of brick culvert still quite apparent but in less good condition.
Culvert (2) 768380 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert’. No remains.
Bridge 13 769378 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Swing Bridge No. 13’.Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Swing Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 16’. Swing bridge. Brickwork intact. Gate timbers broken and propped up against bridge. Much of the original bridge structure apparent. Stop planks apparent and intact.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 12 to Culvert (1): Embankment still solid but canal bed overgrown in placed.
At Culvert (1): Canal bed filled in but right hand embankment still visible.
From Culvert (1) to Culvert (2): Canal bed visible and holding water.
From Culvert (2) to Bridge 13: Canal bed still visible following hedgerow, boggy in places.
Condition of Towpath/Footpat
Not determined. No public right of way seems to exist.
Ownership
John? Gurney (Mountmill Farm).

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 13 TO BRIDGE 15 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Bridge 14 765375 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 14’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 17’. Masonry bridge. Bridge intact with ‘1919’ in brickwork under bridge and bridge number plate intact under ivy on bridge arch.
Lined section 765375 Concrete trough constructed 1919. Completely intact, with walls and stonewall at edge of towpath. Skeleton of barge still left on bed just in front of bridge. Metal-lined stopgates still intact.
Milepost 5 762377 Shown on 1924 map as ‘5M’. Not determined.
Flood Paddle 761377 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Flood Paddle’. Paddle mechanism intact. Some masonry left. Overgrown with thornbush.
Drain 762377 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Drain’. Not determined.
Bridge 15 762377 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Swing Bridge No. 15’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Swing Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 18’. Swing bridge. Masonry under footbridge. Bridge intact but worn. Engineering bricks at top of walls intact. Wooden bridge over – unsafe.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 13 to Bridge 14: Canal bed still visible – following hedgerow.
From Bridge 14 to Bridge 15: Canal bed visible.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
Not determined. No public right of way seems to exist.
Ownership
John? Gurney (Mountmill Farm).

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 15 TO BRIDGE 17 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Culvert (1) 759375 Shown on 1924 map as ‘? Culvert’. No visible remains. Declivity of drystream bed leading to bank beside canal.
Culvert (2) 757373 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert’. Not determined.
Culvert (3) 755371 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Brick Culvert’. Not determined.
Winding Hole 755371 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Not determined.
Bridge 16 755371 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 16’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 19’. Masonry bridge. Not determined.
Culvert (4) 754369 Shown on 1924 map as ‘? Culvert’. Not determined.
Bridge 17 754361 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 17’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 20’. Lift bridge. Not determined.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 15 to Culvert 1: There is water in the canal bed by the culvert, remainder is undetermined.
From Culvert (1) to Bridge 17: Not determined.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
Not determined. No public right of way seems to exist.
Ownership
Unknown.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 17 TO BRIDGE 19 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Culvert 753367 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Wooden Trunk (14 ft run 12″ G.E. pipe. Put in June 1919)’. Not determined.
Milepost 6 753366 Shown on 1924 map as ‘6M’. Not determined.
Bridge 750365 Shown on 1924 map as ‘ Lattice Girder Bridge (Not Companys)’. Annotated 1900 GJCC map as ‘Not Companys Bridge’. Girder bridge. In use and carrying road to Thornton. Bed has been filled in underneath the bridge. North of the bridge, the brick work leading to bridge hole (towpath side) is still intact.
Bridge 18 750365 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No. 18 (Disused)’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 21 (Not Used)’. Masonry bridge. Still exists, though parapets are missing. Stonework is in good condition.
Breach 748364 Banks of canal have been breached to create a farm access.
Bridge 19 744364 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 18’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 22’. Lift bridge. Still exists as a bridge. Walls in place, brickwork good, original beams and decking fixed in place as a farm access. No balance beams.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 17 to Bridge 18: Line appears well defined and intact, access not possible as is private land.
From Bridge 18 to Bridge 19: Canal bed is in good condition, apart from the breech made for farm access.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 17 to Bridge 18: Not determined. No public right of way seems to exist.
From Bridge 18 to Bridge 19: Towpath is well defined. Overgrown in place with low overhanging branches of trees. At end of wood, south-west of Bridge 18 there is a fence and stile crossing the canal bed. Public right of way.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
Wharf (‘Thornton Wharf’) at Bridge 18 ?

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 19 TO BRIDGE 22 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Aqueduct 742364 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps as ‘Cattleford Bridge’. Exists, parapet missing. Brickwork appears in reasonable condition. Very overgrown.
Bridge 20 741363 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 20’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Swing Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 23’. Lift? Swing? bridge. No visible remains.
Bridge 21 740361 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 21’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Swing Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 24’. Lift? Swing? bridge. Site not determined, no evidence found.
Milepost 7 739360 Shown on 1924 map as ‘7M’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map. No evidence found.
Culvert 739359 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert Bk.’. No visible remains, stream crossed by 2 planks made from LMS Railway sleepers.
Wharf 738358 Leckhampstead Wharf. Some buildings still exist, but have been modernised. Site is now an equestrian centre and new buildings have been added.
Bridge 22 737358 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge No 22’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 25’. Masonry bridge. Still exists and carries road. Has been filled in underneath, no visible remains of brickwork. 2 culverts run underneath following line of canal.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 19 to Aqueduct: Canal bed in good condition. West of Bridge 19, depth of canal banks was measured at c. 5 ft.
From Aqueduct to Culvert: Canal bed has been obliterated and very difficult to discern line of canal. A new fence runs across the line of the canal between Bridges 20 and 21. The field between this fence and Bridge 21 is used for crops, and is regularly ploughed up.
From Culvert to Bridge 22: Canal bed has been filled by a yard and access road for the equestrian centre.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 19 to Aqueduct: In good condition, and has recently been cleared through woods north of aqueduct, (with renewal of stile at edge of wood).
At the Aqueduct, public footpath crosses line of canal to north side, along the edge of the A422 road over Cattleford Bridge, then rejoins line of canal to the south of the aqueduct.
From Aqueduct to Culvert: Tow/footpath is not discernable. Stile exists where a new fence runs across line between bridges 20 and 21. Beyond this fence, footpath is obliterated by crops.
From Culvert to Bridge 22: The public right of way has been diverted to the south of the original towpath. (AVDC (Footpath No. 25 Parish of Leckhampstead) Public Path Diversion Order 1989. Confirmed 15/9/89). This diversion passes through a number of small paddocks (with horses in ) and uses a number of new stiles.
Public right of way.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
1900 GJCC map shows area to west of Bridge 22 as owned by the company. Area to the east, together with the buildings as not owned by the company.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 22 TO BRIDGE 23 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Winding Hole 737358 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Clearly visible, and covered in short grass.
Culvert (1) 736357 Shown on 1924 map as ‘9″ G.E. Pipe Under Canal’. No evidence found.
Flood Paddle 734356 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Flood Paddle’. The walls are clearly visible. the brick work on both sides of the towpath is in good condition and the culvert beneath the towpath appears to be clear. The paddle and mechanism are now missing, and a concrete slab covers the hole where the paddle mechanism once stood.
Blockage (1) 733356 Just to the west of the flood paddle, the canal bed has been filled with earth to create a farm track/access.
Culvert (2) 733356 Shown on 1924 map as ’13” C.I. Pipe’. No evidence found.
Blockage (2) 731356 Just to the east of Culvert (3) a large earth bank is blocking the line of the canal bed.
Bridge 731356 At site of Culvert (3), embankment on both sides of the canal have been removed and a wooden bridge carries the footpath across the culvert channel.
Culvert (3) 731356 Shown on 1924 map as ‘9″ G.E. Pipe Under Canal’. Now exists as an open channel carrying water across the bed of the canal.
Blockage (3) 729355 Canal bed has been filled in to create a farm track/access.
Bridge 729355 At site of Culvert (4), embankment on both sides of the canal have been removed and a wooden bridge carries the footpath across the culvert channel.
Culvert (4) 729355 Shown on 1924 map as ‘? ? Under Canal’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Culvert’. Now exists as an open channel carrying water across the bed of the canal.
Bridge 23 729354 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 23’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 26’. Lift bridge. Now a fixed low level wooden bridge carrying a public footpath across the canal. The parts visible above the water line appear in good condition. Some of the original timbers from the draw bridge appear to be still in place below the new wooden deck.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 22 to Culvert (4); The canal bed is clearly defined and appears in good condition, apart from the blockages for farm track/access. Covered in short grass reeds, some brambles and the occasional small tree.
From Culvert (4) to Bridge 23: The canal is in water, with a large amount of reed growth.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 22 to Bridge 23: The towpath is in a good to reasonable condition. In places is overgrown, and with one or two fallen trees, but is passable.
Public right of way.
Ownership
From Bridge 22 to Culvert (4): Unknown.
From Culvert (4) to Bridge 23: A nature reserve owned by BBONT.
Other Notes
Area between Winding Hole and Lock 1 is annotated on 1900 GJCC map ‘JJ Davies Thornborough’.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 23 TO BRIDGE 25 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Weir 728354 In good condition. Water flowing freely into canal from north-west and out towards the River Great Ouse to the south-east.
Bridge 727353 Wooden bridge at tail of lock carries footpath over the canal.
Lock 1 727353 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Lock No. 1’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Lock, and annotated ‘No. 1’. Exists and holding water. Chamber appears to be in very good condition with the walls in remarkably good condition, although the sides are very overgrown making inspection difficult. Apart from a small section of the bottom of the top gate, no other parts of the lock mechanism were found. It may be possible that more remains of the mechanism could be hidden in the undergrowth.
Milepost 8 726351 Shown on 1924 map as ‘8M’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map. Still exists. In good condition, with light surface rusting.
Culvert (1) 726350 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Culvert’. No evidence found.
Bridge 24 725347 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 24’. Annotated on 1900 GJCC map as ‘Bridge No. 27’. Lift? Masonry? bridge. Possible remains of the south-eastern side of the bridge exists – some minor brickwork.
Culvert (2) 724346 Shown on 1924 map as ‘9″ E. Pipe’. No evidence found.
Bridge 25 717344 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 25’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 28 (25)’. Lift bridge. No evidence found, area has been infilled.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 23 to Lock 1; Canal is in good condition and holding water up to the top gate of the lock.
From Lock 1 to Culvert (1): Bed of canal is dry, but in very good condition. Covered in medium undergrowth of reeds and grasses. Small areas show signs of holding water.
From Culvert (1) to Bridge 24: The towpath embankment has been levelled, though the western embankment exists and appears to be in good condition. The canal bed is very overgrown with brambles and is impassable.
From Bridge 24 to Bridge 25: The canal bed has been infilled and levelled with little evidence of the canal. The line can be ascertained by the route of a farm track.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From Bridge 23 to Culvert (1): Towpath is in good condition, with little undergrowth.
From Culvert (1) to Bridge 24: Towpath is very overgrown with brambles and is impassable, necessitating a detour to the east.
From Bridge 24 to Bridge 25: Towpath difficult to ascertain as canal has been infilled and levelled. The public footpath is clearly visible.
At Bridge 25, the towpath changes side to the northern bank.
Public right of way.
Ownership
From Bridge 23 to south-west of Lock 1: A nature reserve owned by BBONT.
Remainder: unknown.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 25 TO BRIDGE 26 (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Mill House 717345 Known as Old Mill House. Still exists and used as a residence.
Mill 717344 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Mill’. Shown on 1900 map as ‘Maids’ Moreton Mill’. Purchased by Company in 1932 and demolished 1953. No visible remains.
Mill Race 717344 Still exists, though silted up.
Overflow 716344 Shown on 1900 map as ‘Overflow’. River bank lower at this point, otherwise no visible remains. A new weir has been built in the river west of this point.
Milepost 9 715344 Shown on 1924 map as ‘9M’. Shown on 1900 map as ‘MP’. No evidence found.
Weir 714344 Start/end of river section. Shown on 1924 map as ‘Weir’. No evidence found.
River Inflow 713344 Start/end of river section. River bank lower at this point.
Bridge 26 710342 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 26’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 29 (26)’. Lift bridge. Area has been infilled, no visible remains.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 25 to River Section: Canal bed has been infilled and obliterated. A small planted area of young trees has been made on the line of the canal.
From River Section to Bridge 26: Canal bed has been infilled and levelled. Line of canal is discernable by a line of trees (and recently by a new fence).
Condition of Towpath/Footpat
From Bridge 25 to River Section: It appears towpath has been diverted around the planted area, footpath clear.
River Section: Difficult to ascertain towpath, footpath difficult in places.
River Section to bridge 26: Towpath obliterated along with the canal, footpath clear.
Public right of way.
Ownership
Unknown.

SECTION FROM BRIDGE 26 TO 10 MILE POST (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Lock Cottage 710341 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Cottage has been extended twice, to the west (1960s?) and to the south (1980s). The southern extension now rests on the side of the lock. In use as a residence.
Lock 2 710341 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Lock No. 2’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Lock, and annotated ‘(2)’. Infilled, though it appears chamber remains complete. No evidence of gates or mechanism. Site in use as a garden for the lock cottage.
Weir 709339 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Weir’. Shown on 1900 map as ‘Overflow’. Remains of brickwork, though damaged. Weir channel still evident.
Bridge 27 708337 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Draw Bridge No. 27’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 30 (27)’. Lift bridge. No visible remains. (Obliterated due to building of A422 Buckingham By-pass).
Blockage 708337 Line of canal is cut by the construction of the A422 Buckingham By-pass (1984).
Bridge 28 708336 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Footbridge’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as F.B., and annotated ‘No. 31’. Wooden footbridge. No evidence found.
Milepost 706336 Shown on 1924 map as ’10M’. Shown on 1900 map as ‘MP’. No evidence found.
Condition of Canal Bed
From Bridge 26 to Bridge 27: Canal bed is in very good condition, apart from the lock which has been infilled. A number of small trees are growing in the bed.
From Bridge 27 to 10 Milepost: The canal bed has been obliterated by the building of the A422 Buckingham By-pass and landscaping for a new school.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
The line of the towpath by the lock has been blocked by the extension to the lock cottage. The footpath has been diverted around the lock cottage to the west (AVDC (Footpath No 27 Parish of Buckingham) Public Path Diversion Order 1989. Confirmed 30/6/89). Public right of way.
From Lock 2 to Bridge 27: Towpath is in excellent condition through a wooded section. Has recently been cleared. Public right of way.
From Bridge 27 to 10 Milepost: Towpath obliterated by building of A422 Buckingham By-pass and landscaping for new school grounds.
Ownership
Unknown.

SECTION FROM 10 MILEPOST TO TERMINUS (BUCKINGHAM ARM)

Feature Map Ref Notes
Weir 703339 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Weir’. Shown on 1900 map as a direct connection between river and canal. No evidence found.
Wharf 703342 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Known as Lower Wharf. Buildings remain, but in very bad condition.
Bridge 29 701343 Shown on 1924 map as ‘Bridge’. Shown on 1900 GJCC map as Draw Bridge, and annotated ‘No. 32 (29)’. Lift bridge. Area has been infilled, no visible remains.
River Feed 701342 Shown on 1924 map. 1990 GJCC map shows disconnection between river and canal. Feed from River Great Ouse. Area has been infilled, but there is a lowering of the river bank at this point. Additionally, there is a storm water overflow into the river at this point.
Wharf 700342 Known as Town Wharf. 1900 map shows area as ‘Bone Mills’. Area has been infilled, no visible remains.
Winding Hole 700342 Shown on 1924 and 1900 maps. Area has been infilled, no visible remains.
Wharf 699342 Known as Terminus Wharf. 1900 map shows area as ‘The Wharf’. Area has been infilled, and used as a vehicle yard.
Buildings 699342 Cottages to North-west of terminus wharf: North-east cottages still exist. South-west cottages have been replaced by a filling station.
Wharf buildings 699342 Wharf buildings on South-eastern side of wharf: Still exist, and have been extended, together with additional buildings. Used for motor businesses.
Wharf House 698342 Still exists.
Grand Junction Inn 697341 Still exists.
Condition of Canal Bed
From 10 Milepost to Lower Wharf: Canal is infilled, and the level is lost due to landscaping for a housing estate. The route of the canal is clear, and a number of trees and bushes which lined the canal bank still remain in hollows in the landscaping. Prior to the Lower Wharf, the line runs through a playing field, infilled, but unobstructed.
From Lower Wharf to Bridge 29: The line of the canal runs along the perimeter of a football field, infilled, but unobstructed.
From Bridge 29 to terminus: Infilled, but unobstructed.
Condition of Towpath/Footpath
From 10 Milepost to Lower Wharf: Towpath is obliterated due to landscaping. A public tarmac path follows the line of the towpath on the edge of a housing estate. Prior to the Lower Wharf, obliterated, but public access across a playing field.
From Lower Wharf to Bridge 29: Obliterated, but public access. Public right of way still exists across site of bridge.
From Bridge 29 to terminus: Obliterated, initially no access. Within The Wharf area, accessible to public.
Ownership
Unknown.
Other Notes
1900 GJCC map indicates that the wharf area up to the river feed was not owned by the company.